Olumo Rock - Abeokuta Living

I recently did a road trip with my friend Tayo and some friends to Abeokuta.

It was quite an enjoyable trip if you back out the horrendous traffic encountered *side eye*.

While there, we visited the famed Olumo rock and we climbed the rock all the way to the top. It was such a beautiful view from the top and I could see the span of the city. Our guide gave us a brief history of how the rock became popular during the wars where the Egba people hid in the rock which gave the town its name Abeokuta meaning "under the rock".



The Climb





A Shrine at the rock

View of the city from the rock
Shrine


The Caves




This my hand eh!!




Scared Cat!! Do not want to climb here

Got help :D

Oyinbo 1 showing us the land!!

Trying to access the land

Was already tired here. I had removed my sandals at this point. hehehehehe

Tayo of life

And we just had to pout!!

Made it to the top.....



Our visit also coincided with the sallah holidays, and thus we were able to view some festivities. Some of the elders were excited to see my friends 'the oyinbos' express their interest in the Nigerian culture that they happily took pictures and took them around.

Children playing throw and win game

Women cooking for the Sallah

Oyinbos 1 & 2 posing with the elders...


Food preparation in progress. :D

The Drummers














In all, the trip got me thinking that I have lived all my life in Nigeria which is blessed with so many natural resources and historical places worth seeing, yet I have not been to most of them. Thus, I would try and visit more sites.

Any suggestions on new places to visit.

XOXO

Love and Light

No comments:

Post a Comment