Drey takes on Badagry Part 1 - Stint with Naijatreks

Yo! Yo!! Yo!!!

This is a late post considering that I had a very tight schedule this week concerning work... However, I am glad that it is the weekend. How is your weekend going fam? How body? My excitement level usually shoots above the roof on friday only to come to its lowest ebb on sunday night...its like I have been living on a kind of euphoria that I can't explain. 

What would you get up to this weekend? Hope it is going to be fun for you. Last weekend, I went to Badagry with the girls courtesy Naijatreks. I first heard of Naijatreks from Berry Dakara on her trip to Ibadan. One of my new year resolutions was visiting more of our Nigerian / African tourist attractions (see my visit to Olumo Rock). I was able to convince the girls to come with me on this trip.


Fast forward to to Saturday,  I had little sleep due to preparing some sandwiches for my fellow tourist. I got to the desinated meeting point by past 6 only to discover that the bus had not arrived. This was quite a bummer considering that Naijatreks specified departure time to be 6:15am due to the nature of the roads. Oh well, lession learnt for another time *sideeye*.

Despite this, I had a great time meeting new people like NaijaNomads, Lore, Dolapo etc. There was so much traffic on the way there and what better way to endure it than sleeping *hehehehe*.

First stop was the Badagry Slave Museum where we were told about the beginning of the trans-atlantic slave trade which lasted a lot of years. It is actuallysad to comprehend that slaves were sold for mediocre items like 40 slaves for Umbrella,  20 for a bottle of gin, mirror etc. Boy, am I glad that this has been abolished.  At this point, I am going to allow the pictures do the talking

Badagry Heritage Museum





Chains for the Slave's neck




Advert for Slaves

Slaves Facilitators

More Facilitators :(

The way the slaves were chained

Slave Market



They had to drink water with their necks dipped into the pot

Transportation through Ships

Some of the Slaves Abolitionist 

With the girls 

With the ladies on tour 
Then we went to another museum which was coincidentally where one of the slave traders Seriki Feremi William Abass did his business and was also his family abode.


Ignore the look on Tayo's face.hehehehe
Some items used in exchange for slaves..Very Sad :(

An umbrella used in exchange for slaves 

A bottle of gin also used in exchange for slaves..Note the year 1879 on the bottle

This post would not be enough to cover the trip thus it is part 1...Part 2 would cover other areas we visited including pictures.

Love & Light

Drey

No comments:

Post a Comment